Thursday, June 4, 2015

Soldered Pendants and Vintage Lace, Trim & Hankies

Talk about taking a leap of faith in my creative endeavors.  I have always admired soldered pendants and now I know why they are typically so expensive to purchase.

In an effort to learn as many ways as possible to repurpose vintage linens like lace, trim and hankies,
I decided it was time to make an investment in funds and time
to learn how to solder.

First I purchased several books I spent time reading & studying.
Watched several videos, although I have to say I had to trust the books more.
Put together a list of essential tools & supplies.
Invested in a Weller 100 Soldering Iron
Visited my local soldering glass store.
Learned how to cut glass at the store and purchased more tools!
I have played with it
Even burned myself....just a bit.

I had to ask myself.  What if I purchase all these items and then I can't do it?  All the books say, you have to be patient and practice.  It does take lots of patience and  practice.  It also says refrain from re-working the piece to try to make it perfect, because you will just get frustrated.   
I can be patient but it is really hard to not want to re-work the piece.  Believe me, I struggled with this aspect but just kept telling myself, this is a handcrafted item.  Created by me, not a machine.
Naturally, I had to learn the hard way to just let it go.
I have some ruined pieces to teach me that lesson.

I am so glad I took that leap of faith in myself!
I am more comfortable with soldering and in time hope to improve upon this new skill.
Although I have invested lots of time and even more money that I planned, I am happy I have jumped into soldering jewelry pendants using vintage linens.

I will have a small batch of Soldered Pendants available at 
A Paris Street Market this Saturday, June 6, 2015
at Aspen Grove.

Here are the pictures of some of my packaged soldered pendants with a 24 inch length chain all created using Lead-Free Silvergleem Solder.



Now, here are some closeup photos of my new soldered pendants before packaging.











http://www.aparisstreetmarket.com/



2 comments:

  1. beautiful! i've always wanted to try soldering too but have been intimidated by it. maybe this will give me the nudge i need. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting blog, looking forward to more wonderful! bague cristal swarovski

    ReplyDelete