Saturday, November 1, 2014

My Parents 50th Wedding Anniversary

This time of year, no matter how much I try to plan and prepare, I feel I am ALWAYS behind.

This year is no exception!   I am now trying to catch up on my blog.

On October 11, 2014 my parents celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary in El Paso, Texas.  I traveled to El Paso a few days before to help with the final party preparations.  Among them, bake and decorate my parents anniversary cake.

According to my sister, I got the creative gene and she did not.  As a result, party invitations and decorations became my responsibility.  Weeks prior to the party, I worked with gold spray paint and gold glitter  to create table decorations.  My sister and I planned the party, it was a labor of love.  My brother provided the live music.

Edited it to not display my sister's home address


Photos was a huge part of the decorations.  I created many photo timelines, inside and outside my sister's house.  Countless hours were spent at night gathering photos to reflect a lifetime of memories and 50 years of marriage.  It was bittersweet.  I smiled and also felt sadness to see faces of so many loved ones lost throughout the years.  However, I am very blessed and grateful to have both of my parents.  I am happy I was able to provide them with meaningful decorations which they and their guests enjoyed.

Over 100 guests came to celebrate.  My parents loved spending time their family and friends.  We had live music and great food.  I loved seeing so many friends and family, many who I have not seen in years.  Naturally, I took many photos.  A small sampling are posted on my personal Facebook Page.  Here is just a few photos; however, on my blog it is mostly the decorative elements of the party.

My family, David, Laura and Alex were not able to attend the party.  With both kids at school, especially with Laura being a senior in high school we decided it was better I should go alone.  I missed my family not being able to be with me and the rest of my family in El Paso, but there are times when it is just not possible due to school commitments.   Also, it is extremely expense for 4 people to fly to El Paso.

My parents, Amelia and Bulmaro Delgado

Gold painted Mason Jars.  Painted vintage thread spools (my mom was a wedding dress seamstress.  Her first wedding dress to sew was her own, displayed on the thread-spool photo holder).  Fresh flowers, Roses ( my mom's favorite flower)  and Purple Flowers (purple is my favorite color).

My sister Gaby baked hundreds of Mexican Wedding Cookies.  They were delicious and very addictive.   I could not stop eating them!


Canopy's dressed up the backyard nicely.  Photo Timelines throughout.

Party Favors.  Hershey Bars.


On the back is a photo of my parents with my sister and brother taken at their 40th Wedding Anniversary.  The small photo of my parents is from their 40th anniversary. 


One of the 3 gifts I created for my parents.  I created 16 x 20 photo collages.  This one is from their Wedding Day.  The second one was from their 25th Wedding Anniversary and the third from their 40th Wedding Anniversary.  
My dad was born in Zazatecas, Mexcio.  My mom was born in Durango, Mexico.  My parents met in Cuidad Juarez, Mexico.  Soon after their marriage they moved to El Paso, Texas where they have lived since.  My sister, brother and I were born in El Paso, Texas. 


So grateful my parents were able to celebrate their 50th Wedding Anniversary.

They were so HAPPY!

No comments:

Post a Comment