Monday, May 26, 2014

She Who Sews Challenge by Isa Creations

It has been several weeks since my last post.  Several reasons for my absence. Tomorrow I will post about a project I have been working on for two solid weekends involving my son's 4th grade class.

Add to that, I have been working at school (2 days) or volunteering at school (2 days) 4 of the 5 days this past week.  All of this has been done while having a cold with a hacking cough.  I am still coughing as I write this post, I can't tell you how tired I am of this cough!

Anyway, I want to share my two completed projects for

Challenge involved using the Handmaids fabric created by J. Wecker Frisch.  These are the challenge rules as posted by the Joy Studio Blog:
Challenge Rules:
1. Sign up by April 25, 2014 with an email to tidings3@aol.com and comment to this post – Accepting the first 30
2. Make any item (s) of your choice using one (total) or more yards of the “She Who Sews” fabrics (collection from Quilting Treasures – available in quilt shops & on line)
3. Use two “She Who Sews” fat quarters – We provide
4. Also (must) use at least 2 more cuts (skus), your choice, of the “She Who Sews” fabrics, in any increments, totaling an additional 1/2 yard or more – You purchase
5. To be eligible/entered for the participant giveaway/drawing, you must email photo(s) of finished project(s) to tidings3@aol.com by May 26, 2014

I created two styles of bags with the two fat quarters I received along with the She Who Sews fabric I had previously purchased.




The first one is a clutch bag, fully lined and with a layer of fusible fleece for added support.  I love to use the free-motion sewing attachment on my sewing machine.  I stitched the outline of the the girl, her hair and added some free-style stitching doodling throughout the bag.  On the back I free style stitched "Create with Love." I just added a bit of vintage red rick rack trim to the top.


 Free-style stitching on hair:


The second bag is a lined zippered bag.  The bag itself is square but the quilting itself is not.  The paint palette  inspired me to have the square a bit off centered.  I believe in art it's okay to color outside the lines and think outside the box.   The yellow and red rick rack trim are not in a straight line.  All the rick rack trim is vintage.  I added some fun charms to the zipper pull for fun.  For the lining in this bag  I used both fat quarters sent to me.






Working with the Handmaids fabric line, She Who Sews has been fun.  I have more lined zippered bags just waiting to be sewed.  Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will get those done. 

 J. Wecker Frisch is coming out with new fabric lines, (Angelband and DrawNear) I look forward to purchasing both fabric lines as soon as they become available.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Isabel - I love, love, love the projects that you created for the challenge. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete